- "Though they are not warrior mages who employ powerful magic, Μάγιστροςs can cast simple magic spells that can prove effective when used properly. Witchers call these spells Signs and usually use them against monsters, though they also have non-combat applications."
|“||...The witchers adapted the spell, making use of the fact that it does not require knowledge of a magical formula — concentration and the hand gesture are enough. That's why they call it a Sign.||”|
— pg. 309, Το Αίμα των Ξωτικών (UK edition)
Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher
Through the use of Κύκλος των Στοιχείων, five of the signs become available over the course of the original game:
|The Heliotrop sign was not included in the original game, but the FCR mod by the Ifrit Creative Group replaces the Σύμβολο του Άξι with it.|
Γκέραλτ's skill at using these signs is governed by the allocation of talents as he levels up. This allocation can affect the following:
- Sign intensity — basically a multiplier for the severity of the sign cast.
- Sign duration — used with signs like Κουεν and Υρντεν where the length of time a spell lasts is useful.
- Whether or not a sign can be "powered up".
Cost of casting
The cost of casting a sign is typically measured in Αντοχή. Casting signs uses up endurance and proficiency at casting those signs reduces the amount of endurance required to cast.
- Leo, a witcher trainee character unique to the game, tells the witcher in the Πρόλογος that he can not use signs since breaking his fingers on the gauntlet during training.
- The signs included in the game are based on Classical Elements, both in their nature and by their symbols.
- One sign which was considered, but not implemented, for the game was the Aagni sign, said to be a powerful combination of the Αρντ and Σύμβολο του Ιγκνι.
Στο παιχνίδι για υπολογιστή The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Unlike the original game, Γκέραλτ is not required to re-acquire his knowledge of signs in The Witcher 2. His knowledge of them is intact.
|Αρντ||Ιγκνι||Υρντεν||Κουεν||Άξι|Αρντ – a telekinetic wave that can throw back, knock down or stun an opponent. This sign can also be used to destroy obstacles, for example crumbling walls or stacks of barrels. Ιγκνι – a gush of flames that wound opponents. When upgraded, the sign has a chance of incinerating opponents and has a larger area of effect. It can also be used to detonate flammable gases emitted by some bombs. Υρντεν – a magical trap placed on the ground, which will wound and immobilize opponents. The sign's basic level allows you to place a single Υρντεν sign on the ground. After upgrading it, you'll be able to place up to three Υρντεν signs at a time. These will work in unison, creating an impassible barrier. Κουεν – a protective shield that lasts for 30 seconds at the sign's basic level. It is a sign that Γκέραλτ uses on himself – Κουεν absorbs all damage directed at Γκέραλτ, and the upgraded version reflects 50% of the damage back toward to enemy. While Κουεν is in effect, Γκέραλτ cannot regenerate vigor. Άξι – a charm placed on an opponent. If the charm attempt is successful, the enemy will become your ally for a short while, fighting at your side. Heliotrop – not available immediately, requires development of the magic skill tree
Press key to select one of five icons on the left of the circle menù. Then press to cast it. The sign will strike the nearest opponent in front of Γκέραλτ. When you enhance a sign spending talent points in the relative Magic skills, it will hit more enemies at once with an area effect.
Every time you cast a sign it consumes some vigor. The vigor bar is on the top left corner of the screen, under the wolf head medallion and the red bar of vitality. When the vigor bar is zero, Γκέραλτ is not able to cast any sign or parry an opponent's hit. However some Φίλτρα, using dedicated Places of Power or enhancing some specific skills like Vigor Regeneration and Fortitude, can increase the vigor regeneration in and out of combat.
The intensity and duration of signs mostly depend on the level of the magic skills. Also there are some items, some dedicated Places of Power and potions that can enhanced signs damage or increase their intensity: