Foltest — king of Temeria, prince of Sodden, sovereign of Pontaria and Mahakam as well as the senior protector of Brugge and Ellander. Son of king Medell and queen Sancia της Sodden. Sancia's relationship with Sodden meant that the principality became a vassal state and Ekkehard paid tribute to Foltest after the death of Gutram.
Foltest is not married. Many rumours circulate about the king's romantic status, since he already established at a very early age, by his scandalous affair with his own sister, Adda της Temeria, that his taste is unusual. After his accession to the throne, he very much wanted to marry Adda and make her his queen — this mortally offended the king of Redania, Vizimir as it had been previously been arranged that Foltest would marry his daughter Dalimira. Adda died, however, and the marriage never did occur, but the affair was a scandal and one that would not go away because the union produced a child, a daughter. A cursed child — probably cursed by Ostrit, who was in love with Adda, but possibly by Foltest's own mother — who died shortly after her birth, or seemed to, until she emerged as a striga.
The girl's curse was ultimately lifted by Γκέραλτ and she was named Adda, in honour of her mother. All this made Foltest rather ineligible as a royal bachelor mainly because any potential union would always be tainted by the scandal. However, Foltest did not remain celibate for long. His current love is the Baroness Maria Luiza La Valette. It is widely rumoured that both the baroness' children, a son Bussy and a daughter Anaïs, are not the children of the old baron La Valette, but the progeny of Foltest. Foltest's own daughter, Adda the White, is officially regarded as the successor to the Temerian throne, but the girl is clearly impaired and disabled.
Foltest, as with his father, is not very fond of his grandfather, Hugo της Ρίβια. Upon his accession to the throne, he demanded that Hugo's portrait be removed from throne room. He is also in the habit of "leaving Hugo out" of family genealogy. Plenty of time is devoted to lauding his great-grandfather, Griffin, as he is known to speak warmly of "Grandmama Bienvenu" and "Great-grandmama Clarissa". He tends to be very evasive of any questions regarding family lineage.
The king's Royal Council includes the sorceresses Triss Merigold and Keira Metz, as well as Fercart της Cidaris, Willemer the priest, Bronibor and Hereward της Ellander. Foltest and Demavend της Aedirn joined forces to fight Nilfgaard, but the emperor Emhyr var Emreis was also prepared to fight and met their challenges blow for blow.
Biography[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
He had a child with his sister Adda. This child was cursed (presumably either by Ostrit, who fell in love with Adda, or by Foltest's mother, who was highly furious about the incestous union of her son and daughter) so that died just after its birth, killing her mother as well. Foltest ordered to bury them beneath his castle in Temeria.
Seven years later his daughter came back to life — but as a striga. The monster was so dangerous that Foltest was forced to move his residence somewhere else. The beast was, however, still a threat to all of the citizens living nearby. Foltest determined a great reward to the striga's killer but nobody succeeded.
One day a certain man told Foltest that the curse could be reversed so the King forbade killing the striga. It changed nothing — even the greatest Μάγιστροςs could not manage to do this. The spell was finally broken by Γκέραλτ της Ρίβια.
The daughter was also named Adda after her mother.
Personality[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Στην ταινία και την τηλεοπτική σειρά[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
He was played by Edward Żentara in both the movie and the series. His representation in the movie and television series is not particularly true to the novels which describe him as a very handsome and young man.
Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
In the original game, we hear about the king far in advance of any actual meeting. There is talk in the streets which suggests that the monarch is "away", but his specific location is never indicated. King Foltest only arrives in Chapter V, in the midst of the raging conflict in the streets of Παλιά Βίζιμα between the Scoia'tael and the Order of the Flaming Rose.
Συναφείς αποστολές[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- A Game of Dice
- Her Highness the Striga
- Hope Burns Bright
- Sweet Revenge
- The Flame that Cleanses
- Under a Fiery Sky
καταχώρηση στο ημερολόγιο[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- King Foltest is the ruler of Temeria. He inspires both fear and respect in his subjects. Foltest rules with an iron fist; he is decisive and hot-headed. Under his rule Temeria has become the most powerful of the Northern Kingdoms.
- |The king left the city. Theoretically, Burgomeister Velerad is to rule in his stead. In practice, the decisions come from an entirely different source, which causes chaos in the city.
- Foltest returned to Vizima and began restoring order right away. He decided to put an end to the chaos and punish the culprits. It turned out that the king had a job for me, and my deeds influenced his plan.
- If Γκέραλτ kills the striga:
- I spoke to Foltest about his daughter's death. It was a difficult conversation. If this stern man had one weakness, it was Adda.
- If Γκέραλτ lifts the curse:
- I spoke to Foltest about freeing his daughter from the curse. Adda is the apple of her father's eye, so I definitely lifted his spirits, though the stern ruler showed no emotion.
Στο παιχνίδι για υπολογιστή The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Having survived one assassination attempt at the hand of a mysterious killer thanks to the timely intervention of Γκέραλτ της Ρίβια, the king keeps Γκέραλτ nearby as he regards Γκέραλτ as a sort of 'good luck charm'. At the start of the game, Foltest is leading a civil war against the Baroness La Valette to claim his bastard children. He is eventually assassinated by the Kingslayer and Γκέραλτ is accused for the crime. One of Foltest's most trusted agents, Vernon Roche, assists Γκέραλτ in finding the Kingslayer. Leaving no lawful heirs, Foltest's assassination plunged Temeria into the chaos of interregnum. The threat of a full-blown civil war between the nobility and the last remaining bastard child remaining and her supporters.
In the game, Foltest has changed significantly, his clothes and face are completely different and is mostly focused on the design and art of the character - he appears more regal, colorful and distinctive. He only briefly appears (relative to the story) in the tutorial missions as flashbacks when recalling the events to Roche.
καταχώρηση στο ημερολόγιο[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
- Temeria, Prince της Sodden, Sovereign of Pontar and Mahakam, and Senior Protector of Brugge, Angren, Riverdell and Ellander was a firm and decisive ruler - as, I suppose, one should expect from someone so abundantly titled. He was the kind of man who, when hit, made a sound suggesting he was forged of steel and not molded of bird dung. Being unmarried, he led a rather casual private life. In his youth, while still a prince, Foltest strove to demonstrate what he was capable of, and he proved capable of much. The love affair he had with his own sister, by whom he fathered his eldest daughter Adda, is widely known, as is his later affection for Baroness Mary Louisa La Valette. Both relationships bore heavy consequences, so to speak, and in both instances Γκέραλτ found himself stuck in the middle of the resulting mess.
- Foltest most certainly still harbored feelings for his former lover and decided to save the children that were the fruit of this affair. He feared they would otherwise become trump cards in the game of politics, tools of intrigue. Once Foltest made a decision, no one and nothing could stand in his way.
- The deaths of the great and powerful of this world do not always befit their lives. The blow was so unexpected that even the witcher failed to react in time. A dagger's blade ran across the throat of Foltest, ruler of Temeria, cleanly slitting it, and his blood flowed out onto the floor of the temple solar. Thus died one of the most powerful kings of the North - at the hands of an assassin in the garb of a monk.
Video[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Notes[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
Gallery[επεξεργασία | επεξεργασία κώδικα]
|Dezmod • Geddes • Gardic • Goidemar • Cedric • Griffin • Bienvenu La Louve • Medell • Foltest|
|Queens and consorts|
|Vinifrida • Vulpia της Brugge • Riannon • Adda της Cidaris • Berengaria Thyssen • Clarissa της Toussaint • Ragbard της Ellander • Hugo της Rivia • Sancia της Sodden|
|Other members of the royal family|
|Maria Pulcheria • Leticia Charbonneau • Amavet • Fiona • Adda της Temeria • Adda the White|