Peasants mistake wyverns for dragons, and it is hard to tell them apart. Wyverns are great flying reptiles with snake-like necks and long tails that end in a venomous trident. Swooping down from the sky, they easily snatch their prey and carry it off to their nest. And they do not much care if it is a sheep or a man.
|“||I looked for the words "Witcher urgently needed". And then there'd be a sacred site, a dungeon, necropolis or ruins, forest ravine or grotto hidden in the mountains, full of bones and stinking carcasses. Some creatures which lived to kill, out of hunger, for pleasure, or invoked by some sick will. A manticore, wyvern, fogler, aeschna, ilyocoris, chimera, leshy, vampire, ghoul, graveir, were-wolf, giant scorpion, striga, black annis, kikimora, vypper... so many I've killed.||”|
— pg. 116, Η Τελευταία Ευχή (UK edition)
— pg. 148, Η Τελευταία Ευχή (US edition)
In Time of Contempt, Ciri killed a wyvern which escaped its cage at a sideshow in the market square in Gors Velen.
|“||Inside the cage, which was far too cramped for it, lay a lizard. It was covered in dark, strangely shaped scales and curled up into a ball. When the pockmarked man knocked the cage with his pole, the reptile writhed, grated its scales against the bars, extended its long neck and let out a piercing hiss, revealing sharp, white fangs, which contrasted vividly with the almost black scales around its maw.||”|
— pg. 75, Οι Καιροί της Περιφρόνησης (UK edition)
Στο παιχνίδι The Witcher
|Wyverns live in the wilderness or near human settlements; they are a natural element of an ecosystem; they are prized by druids, who tame them|
|Resistant to stun and poison attempts|
|Sensitive to silver and Ornithosaur oil|
|They dive at their opponents, try to knock them down and poison them with venom|
καταχώρηση στο ημερολόγιο
- "Wyverns are unlucky to be frequently mistaken for dragons. Seeing a reptile approaching a flock of sheep, peasants panic. They expect it to breathe fire, massacre everyone and abduct the local virgins. While it is true that wyverns hunt sheep, they neither breathe fire nor lay waste to whole villages. And they are completely indifferent to virgins."
- In Chapter III, Γκέραλτ can talk with a Townswoman sitting at The New Narakort. She is blonde and wearing a green dress with a yellow shirt, telling him she is in the mood to spin a tale but she is thirsty. Depending on her mood, she will ask for "a mug of beer" or milk, informing Γκέραλτ about Basilisks, Wyverns and eventually Archespores.
- Γκέραλτ must exit and then re-enter the inn (or meditate) after each tale to speak to her again. After Γκέραλτ has acquired all the entries she knows about, she will still ask for milk and beer but will not part with any new tales or journal entries.
- Their remains will contain Wyvern meat with or without their bestiary entry.
- The Wyvern Contract requires three wyvern steaks.
- Hungry Like a Wolf ("The Price of Neutrality" premium module) also requires three wyvern steaks.
Ordinary folk often mistake wyverns for dragons. Witchers, however, immediately recognize these flying lizards, which tread upon the ground on two heavily-muscled legs. They also know that when fighting this beast, they must avoid the venomous stinger at the end of its tail and its jaws that bristle with deadly teeth.
The concept for the wyvern emerged from the human fear of reptiles. With its flat head and long neck, the creature resembles a snake; its extended tail only strengthens this impression. The dinosaur-like hump on its back makes it all the more terrifying. The bright colours of the sketch immediately suggest a venomous creature. Thin, long spikes seem to protrude directly from its curved spine, and along with the beast's general posture serve to emphasize its malicious and treacherous nature.
If you are not a witcher, you had better not mess with the wyvern.
On one of his quests, Γκέραλτ has a chance to fight alongside a group of these beasts. It is a pleasure to witness the destruction they spread amongst foes unfamiliar with the ways of fighting these fearsome creatures.
Wyvern from Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni PnP RPG