|This article is about the Aard sign in general. For its attribute tree, see Aard attribute tree. For its talent descriptions, see Aard (character development). For the ability in The Witcher 3, see Aard Sign (ability).|
- According to The Witcher, a short story in The Last Wish (collection), Geralt used Aard during his fight with the striga.
- In the short story A Question of Price, Geralt uses Aard to stop the chaos during the banquet.
- Geralt sought to harm the djinn in the short story The Last Wish with the Sign of Aard.
The base ability produces a directed blast of telekinetic energy that staggers opponents, leaving them open for a subsequent attack. They can be stunned or knocked to the ground. There are four other Aard-related abilities which can be enhanced by allocating Ability points via the Character panel:
Aard is a telekinetic wave that can throw back, knock down or stun an opponent. This sign can also be used to destroy obstacles, for example crumbling walls or stacks of barrels. When an enemy is in front of a cliff, casting the sign can throw them beyond the edge. Aard has an area effect when properly enhanced.
In The Witcher computer game
Aard is the first Sign Geralt 'learns' over the course of the game; one cannot finish the Prologue without it as it is necessary to break through a wall of debris to exit the witchers' laboratory. Its icon is based on the alchemical symbol for Air. It is the sign that the witcher uses the most. Outside of combat, Aard is most often used to clear a path, either by blowing down a wall or blowing apart a pile of debris. During combat it can stun, knockdown or disarm an opponent.
The witcher's skill with the sign is developed through the allocation of talents.
- To use the Aard sign, right-click on the desired target
- Endurance is used whenever the sign is cast, if the overall level is too low, Geralt will not be able to cast the sign
- Tip: Knocked-down or stunned opponents are easy to kill with a single strike.
Examples of obstructions that are "Aard-able"
Circles of Elements
Circles of Elements dedicated to the Aard sign and bestowing the Blessing of Air include:
- Early on in the game, it's a lifesaver, because it lets you insta-kill stunned and knocked-down opponents. Most Bosses (except for The Beast) are immune to stun and prolonged knockdown; they'll still fall down but will pop right back up before you can execute a finisher.
- There's no reason not to buy at least all Bronze levels of Aard. Thereafter, it's up to you; it's still essentially a Force Push, just a "better" one (wider angle with even greater chance to stun/knock down/disarm). Aard works fairly well for crowd control, but later in the game it is significantly overshadowed by Igni.
In The Price of Neutrality premium module
There are only two circles of elements in "The Price of Neutrality" and only one of them is for Aard. It has no special name.