|Mahakam mountains, human states in Northern Realms and Nilfgaardian Empire|
|Common Speech, Dwarven Speech|
|Robustness, handicraft, banking|
|C. 200 |
|1.2 - 1.35 m |
|Stocky and bearded|
Dwarves are one of the humanoid races that inhabit the Continent. Together with gnomes and elves they are called the Old races, and along with gnomes they were one of the oldest sentient races on the Continent. An adult dwarf grows as tall as a human male's chest. They are more sturdy than humans, which makes them tougher and stronger. They usually grow long beards. Dwarves are often excellent soldiers, artisans and businessmen. While they tend to be uncouth, they are also jolly and cheerful.
The motherland of dwarves is Mahakam. Like other nonhumans, dwarves are often persecuted by Nordlings. Because of that, some dwarves were members of the Scoia'tael guerilla allied with Nilfgaard during the empire's invasion of the Northern Kingdoms. These dwarves distinguished themselves from their brethren by wearing their beards in plaits.
- 1 Known dwarves
- 2 In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
- 3 In The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
- 4 In The Witcher computer game
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
Other known dwarves
The book "From the Annals of Mahakaman History" provides a journal entry on dwarves.
- Dwarves are one of the Elder Races. Stocky and bearded, with strongly built bodies and low voices, they are distinguished for their height, which is lower than human. Of simple and direct manners, they are sometimes seen as grumpy, unkind and greedy. I have to stress that my own opinion of the dwarfs is by no means similar to the latter part. I only cite it here to present the views of other people - even if they are dull-minded, hate-blinded buffoons. Mahakam is the dwarves' mountainous homeland, famed for it's numerous mines where precious stones and ores are mined. Many dwarves also live in human cities, for that race usually adapts to new neighbors easily, something that cannot be, unfortunately, said about a large part of humanity. Despite vexations, persecution, and even bloody pogroms, the coexistence with dwarves goes a lot better than with elves. Their flair for trade and craft makes them excellent merchants, bankers, smiths and armorers.
In The Witcher computer game
In The Price of Neutrality premium module
- in Wiedźmin: Gra Wyobraźni
- A translation of Russian interview with Sapkowski found on Reddit: There is an exact definition for this case, which I will use. Dwarves and Gnomes are related races living in similar conditions, similarly dealing mainly with mining and metallurgy, having a similar clan structure of society. There are, however, significant differences: dwarves people are bigger than gnomes (the height of a dwarf is 1.2 - 1.35 m compared to the height of a gnome: 0.9 - 1.0 m) and more stocky. Dwarves always have beards, gnomes either cut their beards short or don't have them at all. Even an exceptionally large and strong gnome with a well-groomed beard can not be confused with a dwarf. Everything is decided by the length of the nose: gnomes have exceptionally long noses, twice as long as the noses of humans and dwarves.