The Heliotrop Sign is a simple magical sign used by witchers. It is made by crossing one's wrists, and works as a buffer to the effects of a magical attack. Geralt uses this sign in the short story "A Grain of Truth" when Vereena uses a sonic attack against him.
|The wave of sound hit the witcher like a battering ram, depriving him of breath, crushing his ribs, piercing his ears and brain with thorns of pain. Flying backwards he just managed to cross his wrists in the Sign of Heliotrop. The spell cushioned some of his impact with the wall but even so the world grew dark and the remainder of his breath burst from his lungs in a groan.
|He immediately regretted his sarcasm. The woman raised her hand and a golden streak shot out from her fingers. Geralt reacted instinctively, crossing both hands in the Sign of Heliotrop, and caught the spell just in front of his face, but the discharge was so strong that it threw him back against the wall. He sank to the floor.
Heliotrop works as a shield against charms, spells, sounds and similar, but is useless against physical blows and projectiles.
Heliotrop Sign is the ultimate ability (Sense of Magic) of the magic branch of the skill tree. To use this ability you need to fill the adrenaline bar by using any of the other Signs. Once the bar is fully charged, you can activate the Sign by pressing X (by default) and the adrenaline level is set back to zero. The Heliotrop Sign creates a temporary immobile circular force-field area around Geralt, which considerably slows down everything inside the field except himself.
- The adrenaline bar can start refilling immediately, even while the Sign lasts.
- Note that the adrenaline bar isn't filled by casting Quen Sign, but by its discharges.
- The name of the Sign, which refers to the Greek word heliotropio, sunflower which comes from Greek helios, Sun and trepein, to turn/change.
- Heliotrop is the only Sign not included in the original "The Witcher" computer game.
- The FCR mod created by the IFRIT Creative Group implements a version of this sign