|This article is about the Quen sign in general. For its attribute tree, see Quen attribute tree. For its talent descriptions, see Quen (character development). For the ability in The Witcher 3, see Quen Sign (ability).|
In The Witcher computer game
In the game, Quen can be used to buy time to imbibe a potion, or regain some lost vitality by resting. Its effect is immediately cancelled by any hostile action. The icon for Quen is based on the alchemical symbol for Earth. The witcher's skill with the sign is developed through the allocation of talents.
- To use the Quen sign, just right-click as Geralt himself is the desired target
- Endurance is used whenever the sign is cast, if the overall level is too low, Geralt will not be able to cast the sign
- Tip: Quen disappears when you cast another sign or attack an opponent. It is best used to gain time to drink potions during combat, to switch weapons during a fight, or when charging at enemies with ranged attacks. It is also very helpful to cast Quen and then power-up a level-four style sword attack.
Circles of Elements
Circles of Elements dedicated to the Quen sign include:
- In the short story in The Last Wish-collection, A Grain of Truth, Geralt used Quen during his fight with the bruxa.
- In the short story in The Last Wish-collection, The Lesser Evil, Geralt used Quen after the fight with Renfri to protect himself from the stones being thrown at him.
- In the short story The Last Wish, Geralt used this sign to block the attack of a Genie.
Quen is a protective shield that lasts for 40 seconds at the sign's basic level. It is a sign that Geralt uses on himself that absorbs all incoming damage, up to a certain point - at which time it disperses and needs to be recast.
While Quen is in effect, Geralt can still attack enemies and use Signs, but he cannot regenerate vigor.
Upgrading Quen in the Magic tree will increase the Sign Level, granting increased duration, damage absorbed, and also causes it to reflect back 20/50% damage against the attacker.
If the sign is enhanced with the "Enhanced Quen Sign" skill from the Magic tree, then Quen can reflect the damage from up to three opponents (at level two).
- In Witcher 2, if the sign is cast during a storm/rain, it receives a bonus allowing it to reflect more damage back to the enemies.
The Quen Sign protects you against damage and certain critical effects. The base ability provides a protective shield that lasts until it has absorbed damage totalling 11% of maximum Vitality. There are four other Quen-related abilities which can be enhanced by allocating Ability points via the Character panel:
- Exploding Shield (3 levels)
- Active Shield (3 levels)
- Quen Intensity (5 levels)
- Quen Discharge (5 levels)
There are six places of power scattered throughout the game map which enhance the sign.