|This article is about the film and television series. For other uses of The Witcher, see The Witcher.|
The Hexer (Polish: Wiedźmin) is the international title of both a movie (2001) and a television series (2002) based on the witcher short stories by Andrzej Sapkowski, although it more commonly referred to as The Witcher by fans since the release of The Witcher computer game. Both the movie and the television series were directed by Marek Brodzki, written by Michał Szczerbic, and produced by Lew Rywin. The role of Geralt was played by Michał Żebrowski, and the music was composed by Grzegorz Ciechowski.
The theatrical movie was essentially the then-unreleased TV series chopped into about 2 hours, and received very poor reviews from both fans and critics. The 13-episode TV series came out the following year. The series was much more coherent than the confusing movie, but was still considered a failure mostly due to the film's already bad reputation and due to vast changes to the source material.
Main cast of characters:
- Michał Żebrowski - Geralt of Rivia
- Zbigniew Zamachowski - Dandelion (Jaskier)
- Marta Bitner - Ciri
- Grażyna Wolszczak - Yennefer of Vengerberg
- Maciej Kozłowski - Gwidon/Falwick
The movie was released on DVD (including an international version with English subtitles). The series was never released on DVD and there are no known plans to release it. It has been unofficially released with English subtitles on the Internet.
- The Hexer movie at the Internet Movie Database
- The Hexer TV series at the Internet Movie Database
- The Hexer movie trailer
- "Nie pokonasz miłości" music video
- Review of The Hexer at Movie Habit
- vod.tvp.pl - with login and subscription