The Witcher character interaction
Character interaction happens primarily through dialogue in The Witcher. One could, of course argue that swordplay is also character interaction, but for the purposes of this article, we will limit the discussion to peaceful, at least initially, interactions. Below is a list, with icons, of the kinds of character interaction that can be initiated by speaking with game characters, or NPCs. This is how Geralt interacts with the various game characters he meets along his Path.
Bribe[edit | edit source]
Occasionally, it becomes obvious that a few orens would ease things along. When such an opportunity presents itself,
Tip: Characters respond differently to bribes and some might take offence if your bribe is too modest.
Drink[edit | edit source]
Drinking contests are a concept that I think is unique to this game, but I could be wrong. They can be quite amusing, but they can also bring rewards in the form of valuable items, or information. So indulge!
Fight[edit | edit source]
For casual fistfights to earn a few extra orens:
For quests and misunderstandings (i.e. where no wager is in question):
- Left-click on the "fistfight" icon to engage in a fistfight.
Forge[edit | edit source]
The weapons that Geralt begins the game with are adequate, but not great. As he swashes and buckles his way through Vizima and environs, he finds runes and pieces of meteorite ore. These can be brought to a blacksmith to be used to either imbue his silver sword with magical abilities, in the case of runes, or have a new steel sword with magical properties forged, in the case of meteorite ore.
Note: The forge icon also allows you to buy and sell items in addition to the blade enhancement service.
Gifts[edit | edit source]
There are several reasons to give gifts in the game: for information, in exchange for some other more desirable item, for a service, or just to be nice. To give a gift:
- Left-click on the "give gift" icon during conversation .
- Left-click-drag on a gift item to give it the intended recipient.
- Drop it into the gift slot which appears on screen
- or just double-left-click on the intended gift item.
Tip: Win the favour of other characters by giving them gifts.
Meditation and Storage[edit | edit source]
These activities often, but not always, happen in the same place, inns and taverns, in the game. There are also lots of places that Geralt can meditate for free, like campfires and friends' places.
- To store an item at, or retrieve an item from, an inn or tavern, first speak with the innkeeper.
- Left-click on the "storage" icon (sometimes the storage icon is not immediately visible, so a conversation thread must be followed until it is).
- Items stored at any inn will be available at every other inn in the game, regardless of chapter transitions, etc.
Pay[edit | edit source]
This icon is used to pay a sum of money in a legal exchange, as opposed to a bribery situation. Typically this is for a service. The Ferryman wants 5 to cross to or from the swamp. This is the icon that is used to effect that transaction.
Play Dice[edit | edit source]
There are plenty of opportunities to play dice poker in the game. Whenever a game character plays poker, this icon appears in the conversation screen. Just click on it to play. There is also a perfectly good article devoted to the subject:
Signet Rings[edit | edit source]
Signet rings are useful for gaining entry into some places, or just passage to others. When you are given such a ring,
- Drag and drop signet in the highlighted ring slots to activate the signet potential gameplay dialogue. If you are not wearing your signet ring, it does you no good.
When confronted with an opportunity to use a signet ring in the course of a conversation, and provided of course that you have the necessary ring,
- Left-click the signet in conversation to present the ring.
Tip: Characters recognizing signets will be more favourably inclined. Presenting the wrong signet might offend a character.
Trade[edit | edit source]
- Buy or sell from those so inclined to deal with you. Note, however, that an inclination to deal with you does in no way guarantee you the best prices when selling items.