Skip down to The Witcher 2 section
In The Witcher computer game
In the course of playing The Witcher, the player character, Geralt, earns experience points (XP). Completing quests and defeating monsters are the primary ways to earn XP, but sometimes simply speaking to the right NPC at the right time (usually to advance a quest) will do.
By accumulating these points, Geralt periodically increases in level. The first level requires 1000 XP, and each subsequent level increase requires 1000 more XP than the last. Each time this occurs, Geralt receives increases to Vitality and Endurance, plus a number of additional talents to allocate in the Hero panel (during meditation.
Every ten levels, he also increases in rank, although this has no known effect other than changing his 'title'.
- Novitiate Witcher: Levels 1 – 9
- Rising Witcher: Levels 10 – 19
- Skilled Witcher: Levels 20 – 29
- Seasoned Witcher: Levels 30 – 39
- Master Witcher: Levels 40 – 49
- Legendary Witcher: Levels 50+
This table contains the cumulative experience required for each level along with the type and number of talents received upon reaching each one:
- There are 111 Bronze, 102 Silver and 33 Gold talents to choose from.
- Of these, 11 Bronze are given free of charge due to Geralt's previous training.
- Two more Bronze are obtained as 'story abilities' (also free).
- One extra Silver is obtained by completing the Ripples quest.
- An additional 6 Bronze, 3 Silver and 2 Gold come from mutagenic potions rather than XP.
- Thus, having reached level 50 and consumed all mutagenic potions along the way, Geralt can acquire all Bronze talents, all but 22 of the Silver and all but 8 of the Gold.
In The Witcher 2, Geralt can progress through a maximum of 35 character levels, each of which requires 1000 experience points. For each level, Geralt's vitality increases and he can also allocate one talent to one of the four skill trees. Before talents can be allocated to Swordsmanship, Alchemy or Magic, the Training tree must be fully filled out which means that the first 6 talents Geralt earns (progressing to level 6) are already spoken for, although you do get to choose the order in which they are allocated, to a point.
After the training tree is filled out, the other three trees are unlocked and talents can be allocated to any of them, provided the prerequisites have been met. 6 talents must be assigned to the Training tree before the other trees are unlocked, however the tree does not have to be filled; e.g. upgrading 3 talents to the second level unlocks the other trees.
- Maximizing Experience Points (spoilers! for the original game)
- Talent point balance mod (For the original game)
- Full Combat Rebalance (For the original game)
- Character development
cs:Talenty es:Puntos de experiencia hu:Tapasztalati Pontok